Skip to main content

Do These to get the Best Out of Friendships in 2026: How I Choose My Friends

Photo by Wasa Crispbread on Unsplash
To a degree, I am sceptical about friendships because heartbreaks are real! Before I call someone my friend, my brain cells deliberate, and they must have seen the person fit. Yours doesn't have to be the same; however, reading this blog post should reduce your risk of disappointment in any kind of relationship. 

Disclaimer: This guide is best for people who consider friendship dear and deep. If you think friendship is nothing and shallow, this article may be too spicy.

How I Choose My Friends (And you should too)-

My Values Remain Unshaken: 

Values define us. My values define me. Why should I lose myself to accommodate another? 

When I meet people, my values are the first filters. If they repel a person, friendship is out of the question. No, it isn't pride. There is a difference between accepting people with their flaws and shrinking yourself. The latter has nothing to do with friendship. I wouldn't throw away my values for friendship. Neither should you. 

Quick Character Study:

First impressions aren't always right, so don't be deceived by the "quick" in "character study". 

After a few encounters, I can tell whether a new acquaintance has the potential to change or get better. When I realise they can't keep up with my pace, distance naturally creeps in.  Also, if they do things I can't live with (morally), friendship is unworkable. A friend should build a cage around you.

Ensure they are not Parasites:

Friendship should be symbiotic. I should be there for you, and you for me.

People who always insert themselves into situations, always take from me, and never consider my feelings are not capable of being good friends. Parasitism is a very big red flag. I don't stay where any red flag casts a shadow, how much more where it wraps me in suffocation. Friendship should go both ways, a give-and-take policy.

Determine What I can get:

By now, you should know that putting yourself first is important when choosing friends. If I know they are not parasites, what do I do? 

I think about what they have to offer. If it is good (based on my values and goals), we can consider friendship.

Build Mutual Trust:

Many friendships and relationships fail because of a lack of trust. It is a grave mistake to make friends without trust; even worse to let it fade during the relationship.

Communication and transparency are the first step. I wouldn't want to be a victim of 'breakfast', a layman's term for heartbreak, because that is the result of a lack of trust... especially for a deep lover like me.

We Become Friends:

After analysing, gisting, and getting to know one another, what next? The next step follows, which is to accept a person as a friend.

At this point, they have shown their competence, and I also feel safe with them.


Dear reader, this is not a rigid process. It is as dynamic as you can think. Keep these in the back of your mind and check the boxes based on your personal beliefs and wants. 

There is a wide gap between a friend and a classmate or someone who just has your contact. A friend is more; you can open up to a friend in a way you can't to the new girl who got your digits.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmm. This is very true. Especially for those who want to hop on the marriage train. This should be the foundation before the the train is boarded. Thanks for sharing
Anonymous said…
Hummmm ..Nice write up๐Ÿ‘
Anonymous said…
Wow๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ
Amazing thought and write up
Keep it up ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Anonymous said…
Sense๐Ÿ’ฏ
Gates Ogbebor said…
Thank you so much. The gravity of friendship cannot be overemphasized.
Gates Ogbebor said…
Indeed. Thanks for reading
Anonymous said…
That was wonderful indexed
Gates Ogbebor said…
I appreciate the complement.
Anonymous said…
True and nice๐Ÿฅฐ
Gates Ogbebor said…
100%. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
This is amazing from your no one fan vicky will always love anything u write
Gates Ogbebor said…
Thank you so much, Vicky.

Popular posts from this blog

How-to-Guide: How to Achieve your Goals in Nigeria and Abroad

  It is possible! Is Nigeria a Place of Achievement? The economy of Nigeria presently creates a big room for concern. From ASUU strike to the ever growing issue of unemployment. People may say Nigeria has literally become a dead end to achievements; I also accepted this until I began to make a lot weekly (When I started). The truth is that Nigeria would scarcely give room for your achievement- you have to create a room for yourself. Picture yourself trying to get groundnut(peanut) out of a bottle. At first all the groundnuts(peanuts) would move towards the bottleneck to come out, few may, but the others get stuck and you have to reshuffle. Nigeria is the large bottle and we (you and me) are the peanuts [don't get offended by the simile]. You probably just want me to say how I achieved my goals, we have gotten to that junction. Determine Your Goal This is were you tell yourself that you want to make it. After coming to the realization that you don't want to be in the same plac...

How Are You (My Friend) Song by Johnny Drille | Review and Lyrics | Video | Stream and Download

Johnny Drille's New Single.  I've listened to this song on repeat several times, and I thought it would be nice to blog about it since it has a significant relationship with friendship. Talented Nigerian singer-songwriter, John Ighodaro, professionally known as  Johnny Drille released a new single titled 'How Are You (My Friend)'  in October 2022. This new single is produced by Don Jazzy of Mavins Records and it has gone viral, even on the popular app, TikTok . How Johnny Drille managed to give a concise summary of friendship in this 3 minutes song is exceptional and it should be studied. He included the ups and downs of friendship, gave reassurance of the bond, and put the icing on the cake by maintaining the concrete love friends share through the lyrics . The song is emotional, soothing, and impeccable! Watch the Performance Music Video Here, From Youtube: Download/Listen to Music Here: Download Link 1 Download Link 2 Download Link 3 Official Lyrics: Intro I know so...