My Personal Experiences With Friends: My High-School Clique

This would be a short summary of my friendship. My criteria for choice of friends may differ from yours, but they all revolve around the same thing which is who we are. I don't know about you, but I can't just call a person my friend after the first day we meet; there has to be a concrete foundation before the word 'friend' can be his/her adjective.

I wouldn't talk about how I choose my friends now, but for that [click here]. I would only talk about my personal experience in friendship and I'd focus on a particular clique from my secondary school and we still exist.

Meet us First

First I would start by introducing what I'd describe as a personality check [*names are fictional but identities are true].

  • Jephen
    was best at keeping malice and he even boasted about it once or twice, how ridiculous and hilarious.

  • Nmakiro was gentle, but his gentility faded away and it could have been a smart camouflage from the onset, who knows? He became the baddest after Jephen and-

  • Sitle, this one was the adviser (bad) who would never dare perform his advice. He could convince you to put your finger in a lit candle and fear to go into the room.

  • Maduce was just there, never a fan of 'unnecessary' conversations. We became so close then the closeness disappeared, it was like dim-bright-dim.

  • Maayo, his words hardly carried weight. Lame may be too strong a word; maybe I just never paid so much attention to him.

  • Dechala joined halfway. He was fun, he had the kind of vibe we didn't have.

  •  I was the English person, that's all I can say. I got nicknamed 'Grammarian' by virtually everyone during the final school session.
Some friends in the group didn't make it to the end, they, are useless in this post. Every member was brilliant to a fault, high average you may say.

What I Have to Say

 These were friends I could give my all for, well some of them, because they were all friends but on different degrees. Let me take you through the Do's and Don't phase (if they are reading this now they may be perplexed).

Do's:

  • Be among the top five(5) in your class. This wasn't a laid down rule, but it was something we maintained subconsciously. Virtually everything now weren't specifically laid down.
  • Know how to talk. There's no way a member wouldn't talk because there was always a conversation.
  • Have your specialty. This wasn't a noticeable 'do', but we were all good with current affairs then besides other areas we excelled individually.

Don't:

  • Don't buy 'rough buns' if you can't share. I have no idea how the snack got that name because it tasted nothing like buns, its taste and texture were novel to me. 

  •  Don't come with an issue if you can't handle mockery. If there's no laughter first, solutions could never follow. The master of this was Sitle who would laugh uncontrollably, at least, he never got punished for it unlike Maayo. [story for later]

  • Don't date a girl with no unique womanly figure unless you're ready to be laughed at. No body-shaming included but like many guys of nowadays they'd say "I can't eat beauty". At the end of the day, no one paid attention to this, but no one could stop the laughter either.

We had disagreements and fights, personally I think I clashed with everyone, and everyone with everyone. Despite all, the bond was firm and we always had our backs. We would even help a member when he had a crush on someone. This reminds me of Nmakiro. Not to mention the impossibility of winning a word fight against us when we were together, when I was there.

This write-up has taken me down memory lane and I must say, I'd write more on this.


Tell me what you think in the Comments Section below.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m anticipating brother!

This made me go down the memory lane also😂
Cheers!!!
Gates Ogbebor said…
All the way.. Thanks for reading
Anonymous said…
Great work. Clear and purposeful
Gates Ogbebor said…
Thank you so much for reading.