LOVE OR NOT? A Poem and Story About A Nigerian Lady || Toxicity And Red Flags In Friendship/Relationships

After reading a post from this blog about Healthy Friendships and Relationships, I decided to share my story.

My name is Jumoke! This is my life in words.

A hand vertically above a water body, while the body can't be seen because it's submerged.
Photo by Stormseeker on Unsplash 

LOVE OR NOT?

I grew up in a home without love
This won't be my portion, I swore
My  mother was always broken and shattered
She cried and suffered- that is all I can remember

I promised to never fall in love
So my heart would never be torn
My mistake was to think it didn't matter as I got older
He came into my life when I lacked a friend and partner

I forgot my childhood take on love
In ignorance, I gave it a chance, and what?
My fear became reality with tears and scars
The dotting young man became a dictator and heartless ruler

I had made a mistake by considering love!
This was her mistake, my mom
My life was the epitome of my mother's
She had endured life to protect her only daughter

I failed her! I failed her!! I thought.


What if my mistake wasn't loving? What if it was a mistake of accepting toxicity?

~Poem by Gates

To be continued...

Please let us know what you think in the comments ❤️

FOLLOW THIS BLOG

Comments

Unknown said…
This is a beautiful piece!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Unknown said…
Love!
Love!!
Love!!!

Warm affectionate๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ♥️..well done bro
Fash said…
๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž